[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Aug 16 19:09:49 UTC 2013

On 8/16/2013 3:01 PM, Fred Watt wrote:
> On 16/08/13 19:56, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 8/16/2013 2:40 PM, Fred Watt wrote:
>>> Does anyone use an arm board to run a small home
>>> server/mythbackend?  I'm looking to refresh my atom server and
>>> getting impatient waiting for a haswell solution. The 10watt intel
>>> J2850 looks like it could be a future option when boards appear in a
>>> few months.
>>
>> An Atom is already no great shakes, but any ARM is going to be a
>> downgrade.
>>
> Maybe I should just wait a few more months to see what appears Q3/Q4.
> A low watt intel/linux solution makes so much sense from many
> perspectives. I was baiting - I guess - to see if I was missing a
> trick for an efficient server.

My 3.3GHz G2120 frontend idles around 25W, and that's including the
inefficiencies of a non-80Plus power supply.  The system itself is
probably somewhere under 15W.  I recently picked up a PicoPSU and an
external brick, so I'll have to test what amperage it's actually using
sometime this weekend.

Once you get below a certain level, it's not worth the effort to push it
further.  One watt used non-stop typically costs roughly $1/yr.