[mythtv-users] Upgrading from .25 to .26 worthwhile?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 02:39:26 UTC 2013

On 16 August 2013 12:00, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Really, J-Y, not everything is a personal attack aimed at you.

never thought it was...

but there's a difference between experiencing issues (unlikely to be
related to myth) and strongly recommending people not upgrade.

You've stepped into the bandwagon whenever someone ask about 0.26 and
not upgrading.

This is non-constructive and unhelpful, and actually prevent work to
properly progress.... We're up to 0.27 now, even if there *may* be
issues, that people stick to 0.25 doesn't allow to fix 0.26. Only with
mass adoption can you acquire the critical mass required to fully
cover the application

> So, should we shut down the bug database and go home since there will never
> need to be another change to Myth?
read above...

> In my case, right now, .26 uses more than .25.  I didn't say that _everyone_
> has the same issue.  It doesn't help to shoot the messenger whenever they
> report something that isn't a glowing positive.

> I've spent the last 40+ minutes doing a little more testing.  I started a
> single HD recording and mythbackend began using between 22 and 35% of a
> core.  As expected, mythmetadatalookup ran and then mythcommflag kicked off.

and there's been no changes between 0.25 and 0.26 in that part of the
code. Only changes that occurred in the past 2 years in that code is
related to the UTC changes.

> After 10 minutes, mythcommflag began searching for logo.  The log shows
> "RingBuf ...taking too long" and "RingBuf...Waited x.x seconds for data".
> At 19:10, avformatdecoder reported an unknown decoding error and commflag
> halted.

and you're not using ext4 and enabled barriers by any chance (barriers
used to be turned off by default in earlier version of the linux
kernel, and now are on)
that alone would explain many of your issues. Which would have
happened with 0.25 (or any earlier version of myth for that matter)

> Can't confirm that correlation!  ;)  I wish it would rain here; lawn is
> going brown.

You're not running 0.27, so how could you confirm one way or another ?