[mythtv-users] Upgrading from .25 to .26 worthwhile?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Aug 15 17:29:38 UTC 2013

>>> Im wondering if it is worth while to upgrade my setup from .25 to the .26
>>> release.  I have looked over the change log and see that there are several
>>> changes of course and it looks like there is some DB changes that occur
>>> based on the change in how time is stored. For those that have moved from
>>> .25 to .26 im curious what you feel are the highpoints that would drive the
>>> upgrade aside from doing it to run the latest current release.  My .25 setup
>>> has been extremly stable for well over a year.
>>> I am running Ubuntu 12.04 release if that maters.
>>

>> The main reason to upgrade to the current, supported, stable version is
>> because it's the version that's supported.  The only down side is you have
>> to figure out what's changed and how it affects you.  But, in so doing,
>> you'll also be able to understand posts talking about the current, stable
>> version and be able to help others on the list with using the current,
>> stable version--passing on that knowledge of what's changed.
>>
>> That said, you're in the time period when 0.26 is probably not going to be
>> the current, supported version for long, so you may want to consider just
>> waiting until 0.27 is released and upgrading once, then.
>

> I recently upgraded from 0.25 to 0.26.  0.26 seems to be considerably more
> memory hungry.  My backend/frontend/database manger all run on an older
> Core2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM.  The machine is now heavily into swap.
> Previously I also ran MythWeb (via Apache2) on the same machine.  I also
> switched to MythCenter-Wide to try to reduce RAM requirements for the
> frontend.  I used to use another theme that showed fan art and whatnot
> (can't remember which, offhand).
>
> Also, the backend may be using a lot more CPU while recording from the
> HDHomerun (North American OTA).  Last night, it was recording a single HD
> showing but the backend was using 30-35% of one core. Previously, I believe
> it used 7-9%!  Comflagging was also running. The frontend was
> unusable--frequent 3-5 second pauses.  Need to check this out before the
> fall premiere season starts!
>
> YMMV.

Nothing typical about that at all... 2GB should be plenty for a
combined system with a lightweight theme.  I suspect there is
something not-quite-right about your system.

You may hit 30-35% CPU if your commflagging while recording... but
just recording should use next to nothing.  Are you using software
RAID... there is some overhead there?

How are you determining that your paging to disk?