[mythtv-users] how to remove "schedule recordings" menu item

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 05:16:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM, <lists at muddysmind.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm trying to prevent my family from recording items and since there is no
> built in ability to password protect that menu item my only hope is to
> remove it from the machines they have access to. I read on an much older
> thread someone suggesting to someone else with a similar issue that they
> just remove that item from the menu but for the life of me I can't figure
> out where/how to do it.
> I assume they are hard coded into the mythfrontend.real binary?
> I checked the sql database for any mention of this menu item but did not
> see anything.
>
> Any suggestions?
>  <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide .  In short,
copy the appropriate mainmenu.xml from the MythTV installation area
(possibly /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml) into
~/.mythtv/ and edit it as you see fit.

However, watch out for the "Schedule" submenu in the Playback OSD menu.  In
0.27 you will be able to customize (i.e. remove) that, but not in 0.26 or
earlier.

Jim