[mythtv-users] Commercial detection with silence - silence.cpp

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 12 03:51:20 UTC 2013

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Roger Siddons
Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013 7:55 AM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Commercial detection with silence - silence.cpp

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 13:53:23 +0100, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> P.S. What kind of program is this? Heavy Metal MTV or action movie?
>> Maybe it's just shouty adverts.

Or the cricket ? Presumably the Aussie showings are just one long
silence....

No, the cricket recording got deleted for some reason.

> - In general the recordings don't seem particularly loud, I'm running the
> threshold db in my preset file between -72db and -95db depending on the
> program, still much tweaking and refining to be done.

Assuming you've fixed the overflow issue, those thresholds look alarmingly
wide. The threshold is quite a crude instrument. Provided it is detecting
silences at the appropriate places I've found you're better off tweaking the
other parameters to achieve the right cuts. Someone has already added Aussie
presets to the wiki. Have you tried those ?

Yes, did start from the Aussie wiki presets. Don't read too much into the
spread, it's just been a bit of testing from me. In particular I found for
the news that deeper silences worked well for me, however the more
prime-time stuff tends to be closer to the values seen by others.

Lastly, be aware that this mail list uses bottom-posting. People get upset
if you repeatedly top-post.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette

Thanks for the tip re bottom posting. Had assumed it was just a bit of
mix-n-match based on individual mail clients / programs / etc so hadn't paid
it much attention. I should have read the guide before my first post.