[mythtv-users] Frontend as cable settop box--using Live-TV

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Sat Aug 10 17:15:34 UTC 2013

On 08/08/13 12:03, lists.md301 wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com
> <mailto:gravityhammer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I use LiveTV on .26-fixes quite a bit, with a HD Homerun and a HD
>     HomeRun Prime.
>

> Thank you, that's the kind of response I was hoping for. That's
> helpful to hear, as that's my exact setup, though I will either be
> dropping the HD Homerun, when I lose clear-QAM, though possibly may
> connect it to the antenna.
>
> One particular feature I am looking forward to taking advantage of is
> the separate Recording and LiveTV tuner priorities.  As I mentioned in
> another mailing list message, I got "behind" on upgrading because of
> Gentoo ebuilds that I felt confident about, with the abandonment of
> github ebuilds and a return to official Portage support.  I plan to
> upgrade (in a chroot test partition initially) once 0.27 has been
> released and flushed out a bit.

I too use 0.27 with an HD Homerun prime and 2 x HDHRs with 2 antennas
(pointing to two different markets).  We use four different frontends
and have few problems.  The biggest being when you select a channel
which doesn't sync.  I have a slingbox in the UK, and am trying to get
it to work in MythTV as an additional source.  At the moment it is not
working, but if the frontend gets changed to that source (which I know
doesn't work), it will never work again as I can't get it to change
source or to a channel which does work.. (I do have a hack which allows
it to work long enough to change channel).

Essentially, if Myth changes to a channel which no longer works, it
would be great if instead of dying with "Sync Error" or whatever and
then freezing, we could have, please type alternative channel number, it
would fix 90% of the grumbling.

I'm guessing this error could be duplicated in most regions with digital
TV by watching a channel, then pulling the antenna/cable line out of the
backend.

--

Rob Davis