[mythtv-users] Frontend as cable settop box--using Live-TV

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 14:23:20 UTC 2013

I throw this out as food for thought:

I realize (and understand) that Live-TV has been of late a somewhat
buggy/neglected feature, for good reasons.  Occasionally people question
its value, and I have generally agreed with that.  I will offer a contrary
point of view now, and this is not a plea for any current "issues" to be
fixed soon, but just a reason for developers not to abandon it entirely.

Because of the relatively recent FCC decision which allows cable providers
to encrypt even basic cable, those of us who use clear QAM are losing basic
functionality with minimal equipment setup (built-in TV tuners).  To
maintain what we have, we're eventually going to have to pay for it, one
way or the other.  But even the status quo doesn't give me all the channels
I pay for on all my TV's.  I've been thinking about this more, as I just
picked up an LG 22" LED-TV for the bedroom, to replace the last old CRT,
connected to (currently free) SD DTA.

If I'm eventually going to have to go to the trouble of running a second
coax drop (and installing an attic antenna to go with it), I'll might as
well run Cat6 while I'm at it and put a new MythTV frontend there to use as
a set-top box.  But for that to work optimally, LiveTV functionality
(sourced from my HDHR Prime) that doesn't crash my system would be
helpful.  Yes, often I'll probably end up watching recorded (in-progress)
shows, but this would be one setup where I might be channel surfing
occasionally as well.

So please, don't abandon LiveTV--the changes our content providing
overlords are making it a more, not less, desirable feature.