[mythtv-users] frontend issues after upgrade

cats22 at comcast.net cats22 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 7 22:03:26 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
I just completed a big upgrade from Ubuntu 7.04 (.20.2+fixes) -> 10.04 (.23+fixes).  Looking for feedback on some FE issues:

1) The screen size wizard used to be "reduce-only" and had a reset
option to start over.  In 10.04 / .23+fixes, I don't see the reset
option.  Is it back in 12.04 / {current}, or what is the best way to start over?
2) When configuring
autologin for the FE, it does not offer the 'mythtv' user in the
drop-down, only my "normal" user (dkressin).  Is there some UID
filtering going on here?  (mythtv is 107, dkressin is 1000)  It works
fine if I manually put mythtv in /etc/gdm/custom.conf.
3) In 7.04, my FE was configured to automatically login the 'mythtv' user and auto-start mythtv-frontend.  If I exited mythtv-frontend, the session would logout and return to the GDM login screen.  I'd like to restore this behavior.  The updated system is using XFCE (vs OpenBox, think - it's been a while) and it leaves me at the desktop rather than logging out.  Pointers on this are appreciated.  (The system is a combined FE/BE and is never used as a desktop.)
4) No matter what theme I choose in the theme browser, the FE interface retains (what I think is) the Terra look.  Notably, when i chose blootube-wide, the background appeared to update as expected and then was replaced by Terra.  Thoughts?  Should I try removing/re-adding the FE role?

I will eventually continue the upgrade to 12.04 / {current}+fixes, but I need to clear some space first.  In the meantime, I'd like to deal with as many of the above issues as possible.

Thanks!
-Dan

Screen size wizard - I found it does no t work well in 0.24, 0.25 and 0.26. I found it easier to use trial and error by putting in differe nt values into the screen size parameters until it was correct

You sho uld not login as mythtv, that is an "application" id intended for use with daemons and such. You can use your default dkressin id to login for the frontend, or create a special user id for that. I would recommend you create a new user id for the front end. You can set auto logon to that user and set up the mythtv frontend to be auto started upon logon to that id. If you want the system to logout after you exit from mythtv create a shell script that runs mythfrontend and then invokes the command "gnome-session-quit --no-prompt". Run that shell script as a startup task from your user id. I am running a similar setup with frontend and backend using a script.

My script is here http://code.google.com/p/mythtv-scripts/source/browse/trunk/install/opt/mythtv/bin/startfrontend.sh  in case you want to look at it. It does a bunch of other stuff too.

In 0.24 upwards the Terra theme is default but I have not had a problem changing it. Perhaps this is something to do with logging on as mythtv. I personally find the steppes theme to be the best.

Peter