[mythtv-users] MythTV UPnP support for XBOX 360?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 7 19:52:50 UTC 2013

On 08/07/2013 03:42 PM, Phil Linttell wrote:
> I've been searching the mailing lists, and trac, and I can't tell
> whether UPnP video playback on the XBOX 360 is meant to work.
>
> My teenage son has an XBOX 360, and while it can see the MythTV server,
> it shows no videos available.  I've been running MythTV for over 4
> years, and all of my recordings have been made by a pair of HD-PVRs and
> are encoded in H.264.
> It seems that at some point UPnP support for the XBOX 360 was broken,
> and trac tickets #9632 and #10020 addressed it.  However, these patches
> are 2 years old and don't apply cleanly on 0.26-fixes.
>
> Just wondering if anyone is using an XBOX 360 for UPnP video playback,
> and if there are any secrets or tricks to making it work with 0.26?

Xbox 360 doesn't really support the formats of video you're likely to
get with MythTV--specifically, it doesn't support the MPEG Systems
stream container (whether it contains MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 or H.264), nor
support MPEG-2 video.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/409617#409617

Your best bet is either to a) get a real frontend running mythfrontend
or b) get a real-time-transcoding UPnP server setup on a system with a
huge CPU (and, I'd hope, cheap electricity), using something like
http://ps3mediaserver.org/ .

Mike