[mythtv-users] Backend machine - Acer Altos G540 Std Server?

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Wed Aug 7 08:41:50 UTC 2013

Nick Rout wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with this or similar machine
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=624082220 ? Intended use is as a
> backend using HDHR tuners.
>
> Size (WxDxH)mm: 445 (H) x 212 (W) x 550 (D) mm
> Weight (Est): 32 kg
> Processor: Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420
> Processor Speed: 2.5GHz
> RAM: 4GB
> Hard Drive:3x 75GB (8 hard drive slots altogether)
> DVD-RW
> SAS
>

> I am guessing the CPU and RAM will be sufficient. My main concerns are
> power consumption, heat and noise. I will be stuffing it full of 8 x 2
> to 3 tb hard drives.

This machine will be "overkill" if you don't do a lot of transcoding. I
recently migrated my backend to a HP Microserver N54L, which uses about
~30W and runs without any problem for about two months now. I have two
HDHR and record up to 2 recordings per tuner and the server does the
occasional transcoding with HandBrake.

HTH