[mythtv-users] Shows Chopped Up and Long Queue of Comm Flag / Metadata Jobs

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Aug 7 12:21:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com> wrote:

> In defense of process monitors, I run one not because myth is unreliable,
> but because it is so reliable that it may take several days or more before
> I notice it isn't running -- by which time I've missed a few of my wife's
> favorite programs.  Since I don't watch TV every night (or sometimes for
> more than a week, even when home), I can't otherwise monitor the system.
> Do you have any other suggestions if a process monitor isn't the preferred
> strategy?

I'm right there with you on status monitors. I run one too, for the same
reason. But I'll make a suggestion. Have your script email you went it does
do a restart. That way, if you make sure a mistake like you just did, you
will discover it relatively quickly. In addition, if anything ever does
start going haywire with your system (like it needs to restart every day),
you'll be clued in that something is going wrong instead of having it
hidden from you.

--
Ron Frazier