[mythtv-users] Backend machine - Acer Altos G540 Std Server?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Aug 7 10:47:08 UTC 2013

On Aug 6, 2013, at 22:16, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with this or similar machine http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=624082220 ? Intended use is as a backend using HDHR tuners.
>
> Size (WxDxH)mm: 445 (H) x 212 (W) x 550 (D) mm
> Weight (Est): 32 kg
> Processor: Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420
> Processor Speed: 2.5GHz
> RAM: 4GB
> Hard Drive:3x 75GB (8 hard drive slots altogether)
> DVD-RW
> SAS

An E5420 is an old Core 2 Quad.  Aside from having gobs of cache, a modern i3 would run circles around it, and 4GB of memory is very cheap to come by these days (although much less so than 6 months ago).  The only factors that might make that worth $450 are the unmentioned features: high end server power supply, high end RAID card, hot swap bays.  Plus, I'm basing this off US availability, I don't know what pricing is like in New Zealand.