[mythtv-users] UK Freeview with HD: terrestrial versus satellite

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 06:53:24 UTC 2013

Keith Edmunds wrote:
>If I scan, I get the same channels on
>multiple multiplexers, and it isn't clear to me how Myth chooses which
>mux to use for recording.

It's a known problem and affects all receivers - not just Myth. However it's a lot easier to deal with in Myth than any other receiver I've dealt with. You're getting signals from two transmitters, and so two sets of muxes - typically one set being poorer quality than the other.

If you follow the link given by John Pilkington you'll see one way of getting just the muxes/channels that work properly for you.
If you aren't sure what you are getting, then there's a handy tool athttp://www.ukfree.tv/findbychannel.php where you enter two muxes and it'll narrow it down to the transmitter. Do this for the "good" channels, and for the "bad" channels to find which two transmitters you're getting.

Sometimes, a minor adjustment of the aerial direction, or a filter, can sort things out. Or an attenuator will make the weaker signal disappear.
For us (and the tenant in my house), the alternative signal is quite strong, and the muxes interleaved, so it's not possible to deal with it by filtering. At home I;ve found an attenuator deal with it.