[mythtv-users] What ate my mythtv executables?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 5 14:30:11 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Ian Oliver <lists at foxhill.co.uk> wrote:
> OK, not directly mythtv in all likelihood, but I'll be brief.
>
> I'm setting up a totally new combined fe/be with 12.04 LTS and Mythtv
> 0.26 with a view to moving this install to my main system once it's
> stable. The install and initial config all went well and it was tuning
> and recording, so I moved onto playing with remote and audio.
>
> Anyway, after a reboot, the frontend wouldn't start. Nor the backend.
> The reason was that /usr/bin/mythbackend, /usr/bin/mythfrontend.real
> and /usr/lib/libmythtv-0.26.so.0 were all missing!
>
> According to apt, the packages were still installed, and my bash
> history didn't know any fluffed commands. I did get an fdisk error
> during one reboot and went for the option of F for fix, but the boot
> then proceeded normally.
>
> Is it really this easy to lose vital files from and ext4 partition?

I'm not sure what ext4 has to do with anything.  Any file system will
delete files when told to delete them... otherwise, I have never seen
a filesystem just "lose" files that were written successfully (as
yours were since you had just used them)

Is it possible that you had a partition mounted to /usr when you did
the install, and that partition is no longer mounted?  Maybe you had a
disk fail?