[mythtv-users] Mixing HD and non-HD Freeview tuners

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 08:37:38 UTC 2013

On 5 August 2013 09:33, Ian Oliver <lists at foxhill.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a Mythtv system in the UK with four Nova T USB DVB-T tuners. I'd
> now like to add one or two DVB-T2 tuners to get Freeview HD but I'm not
> sure how to configure things so that HD channels are recorded using the
> HD tuners and SD on the others (but with the ability to use the HD ones
> if necessary.) Nor do I know if I can get a recording on (say) BBC1 HD
> to fall back to BBC1 SD if there isn't a free HD tuner.
>
> Is anyone doing any of this successfully?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

I have recently been through this and I think there may be some posts
on this list from me discussing it.

This is acheved using tuner order in mythtv setup, I can send you the
notes I made when doing this, which may be of use.

Basicaly, your HD tuner goes at the top of the list, so when mythtv is
trying to find a fre tuner that can record the required channel, it
looks through the HD ones first.

After that, comes your other SD tuners, which you can order according
to load or whatever, this means HD is always picked if available, if
not, SD will be recorded.

For HD channels though, HD will always be available, as all UK HD
channels are on the same mux, so can technically all be recorded at
the same time using a single tuner.

Martin