[mythtv-users] Mythfrontent causes segfault in /usr/bin/X

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 18:48:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Niklas Brunlid <prefect47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just yum-updated everything available on my combined FE/BE, which is a plain
> Intel i7 with Fedora 18 and an NVidia card, and now I can't start
> mythfrontend without X segfaulting.
>
> I run kmod-nvidia-304xx-3.9.11-200.fc18.x86_64 from rpmfusion. I think I got
> mythtv from the same source, the version is:

(new) segfaults after upgrading are not entirely unusual
with the proprietary binary blob nVidia drivers when
running the leading edge X11 and kernels (which Fedora
ships), although F18 is no longer quite leading edge.

And, btw, you really should be using at least 313.30, which
fixes the security vulnerability in CVE-2013-0131, and
perhaps 325.<mumble>, but that would be something to
take up with the rpmfusion maintainer.

First, make sure your install packages are not corrupt
by using 'rpm --verify' on all the packages you installed.
Commodity hardware sometimes corrupts silently.

You might also try downloading the latest/greatest driver
directly from nVidia (you have to choose the beta driver
links).  You can check the changelogs on the download
site to see if there is anything interesting from the
driver you are running, to the latest one (as I recall, you
have to check each changelog individually, there is not
combined changelog).

If you are still encountering issues, you should open
a support ticket with nVidia.

Or you could just run an earlier kernel until "something"
is fixed upstream.

Gary