[mythtv-users] Two mysteries

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Mon Apr 29 11:09:39 UTC 2013

On 29-4-2013 4:37, Matt B wrote:
> >Try USB 2.0 ports
> Unfortunately this motherboard only has USB 3.0 on the back panel.
>  All the USB 2.0 ports are internal and I don't have the right cable
> to convert the internal header into something I can use.
>
> >My experience with my IR repeater is that it can get signals from
> unexpected places.
> I too have a fluorescent light that causes some IR but two experiments
> I tried seem to rule this out.
> 1) I covered the sensor eye with tin foil and blocked all the light I
> could and it was still flashing.
> 2) As soon as I power down the mythbox all the flashing stops (except
> for when I legitimately hit a remote button).  Somehow even when the
> mythbox is in a different room and only connected to the AC/DC
> converter (no ethernet, hdmi, or wifi) it still causes flashing on the
> dinky link.  Could it really be "polluting" the AC lines of my whole
> house?  I guess if X10 can do it maybe this crappy power brick can
> too.  More investigation to follow.
>
> >The operation of IR receivers changed drastically after 10.04 - the
> drivers for most moved into the kernel.  This tends to break LIRC
> operation when you upgrade.  I found this page:
>
> http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization
>
> to be a great help in working it all out with my MCE remote and my
> Hauppauge Nova remotes.  The page tells you what tools to use for
> debugging each stage of operation.
>
> Thanks I'll review that (and the USB 2.0 header) if I cannot get the
> flirc working tonight.
>
> I read on the flirc forums that everything flaky about the Raspberry
> Pi is caused by cheap/bad power supplies.  Since I'm running on a
> recycled laptop brick I'm suspicious that the same rule might be apply
> to my system.  Perhaps poor 12V regulation is causing some/all of my
> problems.  I guess I'll have to see if I can find a high quality AC/DC
> converter with the right size power plug...  onward to google!
>
> thanks,
> Matt

I was bit by the same, since CEC works ok I dropped the other remote and
soundgraph VFD in a 'too much work to bother' attitude.
It's caused by the above described change.

With regards to the RPi comment: that devices is very sensitive to it's
powersupply and that's one of the reasons there's different revisions
out with changes in powercircuits. Complaints are random reboots and
freezes(been there, done that :().
I wouldn't base my decision on getting another power brick based on
experiences made with completely other devices.

Regards,

Jos