[mythtv-users] dvd iso playback problem

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 04:46:43 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Dan Littlejohn
<dan.littlejohn at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Neil:
>
> Yes, that was the problem.  My conf is slightly different since I am
> running Gentoo so here is what I changed if it helps anyone else
>
> file
> /etc/conf.d/net
>
> added
> mtu_lo="16436"
>
> Reading the thread I see that it would work all the way up to 32872 .  Is
> there a reason you stayed with 16k and not something like 32768?
>
> Some additional info is that I am able to play dvd isos using xine with a
> 64k mtu without issue and also could play bluray isos in myth without
> issue.  Seems like something in the myth code for playing dvd isos has a
> problem or may have changed.
>
> Now most of my dvd isos will play, I still have 1/2 dozen that won't
> although the failure is different (these play fine in xine).  I wonder if
> it is related.  This is the log from trying to play one of those (with the
> loopback MTU set to 16k)
>
> 2013-04-28 13:33:01.440830 E [2698/2698] CoreContext
> DVD/dvdringbuffer.cpp:430 (GetChapterTimes) - DVDRB: Failed to retrieve
> chapter data

First, please try not to top post...

I stuck with 16436 because that was the original value in the kernels that
didn't give problems.  I figured if it was not broke I'd stick with what I
knew would work.  Since I made the change I've had none of the stuttering
issues at all.

I'm not sure what is causing the issue with your other .iso files however.
Myth has always been somewhat buggy when it comes to DVD playback.  VLC and
xine are typically flawless but the same files choke MythTV.  I've started
ripping almost everything to .mkv files because of the headaches with .iso.