[mythtv-users] Recent "pixelation" or "glitches" in recordings (HDHR related?)

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Apr 24 19:25:55 UTC 2013

>  >> > I like the idea of an SSD drive for the recording drive. What is the

>>> to act
>>>  Getting
>>> allow

>>> would
>>> LOT

>>> are
>>> allow

>>> down
>>> was
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the storage drives in this scheme would be started more
>>> often than you would like.  When mythfrontend displays a list of
>>> programs, it makes a check for the presence of the recording's file
>>> and displays an X icon for those it can not find.  That checking
>>> process would start all the storage drives every time it happened as
>>> all partitions in all storage groups are scanned to find files.  There
>>> is no way the current operation of MythTV would allow just the drive
>>> needed to play a specific recording to be started, as the actual
>>> locations for the files are not stored in the database.
>>

>> Interesting, I had never heard that before.  Sounds like it would be
>> worth lobbying to have changed, perhaps have it confirm they are available
>> on some sort of schedule rather then every time the user opens the watch
>> recordings screen.

> Queue bug report "Mythfrontend said a recording was there, but when I went
> to play it I received the error 'recording not available'"

I think it would be reasonable for it to do the normal scan upon opening
watch recordings, but only if the last scan was more than X hours ago OR if
the last scan revealed missing files.

I don't treat the red X icon as authoritative anyway...  anything can
happen between the time that the scan runs and I try to play a video; hell
I could leave the watch recordings screen open and go and take my storage
drives off line and it won't show the red x but I will get an error when I
try to play the file.

The red x is simply an indicator that on the last check the file was
missing... all I'm saying is that we shouldn't do so many checks.