[mythtv-users] questions about TV Tuner, MythTV version, etc

vinnieadapousonie at aol.com vinnieadapousonie at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 21:44:31 UTC 2013

Will the Kworld UB445-U2
(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7493661&CatId=1427)
tuner work, out of the box, with MythTV on Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a 3,1
MacBook? I have a Mac Pro, as well, but I prefer installing on the
MacBook.  installed mysql 5.1.68 (mysql-5.1.68.tar.gz) on my MAC OS X
10.5.8 machines, from source. I, typically, keep JAVA disabled,
especially if I am using the Internet.

I have downloaded mythtv .26
(MythBackend-0.26-intel-10.7-v0.26.0-138-g69cd78b.dmg
MythFrontend-0.26-intel-10.7-v0.26.0-138-g69cd78b.dmg), but I have not
attempted to install it yet. IF I get the UB445-U2 I prefer to run it on
the aforementioned OS X 10.5.8, but I would install Unbuntu,
MythUnbuntu, etcetera, on my MacBook and run MythTV from there, if
absolutely necessary. Another question, however, is will the Kworld
UB445-U2 work, out of the box, with the latest version of Unbuntu or
MythUnbuntu installed on a 3,1 MacBook? I am really not in a position to
spend a lot of money for a tuner; the Kworld UB445, at 40 bucks, is
about all I really should spend. The UB445 is also my preferred choice
because, apparently, it can also be used to transfer VHS tapes to my
hard drive or to a CD.

Is mythtv .26 the version I should attempt to install?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_on_Mac_OS_X
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Technical_Directions_On_OSX