[mythtv-users] beaglebone black edition as mythtv frontend?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Tue Apr 23 18:51:11 UTC 2013

On 23.04.2013 19:55, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Karl Dietz
> <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org <mailto:dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     for 10 $currency more then taht you can get a AMD E-350 board and
>     another 10 $currency for 2 GB of memory.
>
>     with the latest developments in amd drivers you even have a chance to
>     get hardware offloading without doing development yourself :-)
>

> Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't make any sense at all. You're
> quoting the price for just a board and RAM. The Beagleboards and

Someone posted a reference to a naked board, I did not investigate how
much additional cost there is until you can use it. I just looked up the
German price for the part and how much more you'd have to pay for a
(mostly) supported part.

Both will need a case, a PSU, some local storage or remote boot (I
prefer the latter, others prefer the former), some kind of remote, etc.

> Raspberry Pis and their ilk are complete systems for under $75 when all
> is said and done. I can't find anything even close based on an AMD E350.

Almost all embedded boards come with closed video hardware. And the
ones that are not closed do need additional development to support the
video decoder. Until someone does this work they are unusable, doesn't
matter how low the price is.

> If you can find a complete system for your $65 price point I'd love to
> see it.

Well, the 65 price point is for whatever you get for 45 with the cheap
ARM boards.

Every time I see these cheap boards on offer I'm wondering why the Asian
manufacturers don't offer a modern TV attached computer in a little bit
higher price range (say 75). They can save chips/cores if they use HDMI
for control and networking, just add a cheap case for the vesa mount
and make sure that the TV's USB bus can power it.

Regards,
Karl