[mythtv-users] Installing mythtv.25 from macports fails

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Apr 21 01:10:54 UTC 2013

At 9:39 AM +1000 4/21/13, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>On 21 April 2013 01:13, Craig Treleaven
><<mailto:ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>J-Y, to disable building yadif, is it as simple as adding
>'--disable-filter=yadif' to myth's configure?  Or is anything else
>required?
>
>As far as frontend v. backend, a CoreDuo or CoreSolo Mac would
>really only suffice as a standard def frontend.  I suppose it could
>be a backend-only machine for HD as long as it wasn't doing any
>commflagging or transcoding...the advantage in this case is that it
>has pretty good power-management built-in.  The OP hasn't said what
>he was hoping to use it for.
>
>I don't know to be honest, I haven't looked at the configure in
>regards to filter in a while. Looking at the
><http://filters.pro>filters.pro qmakefile, I don't believe you can
>select which filter is going to be compiled or not.
>
>There was an error in the filter source code that made it fail to
>compile with clang: this was fixed in 0.26
><https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/ecda14d1d751a4aa4b8eeb903330393d0e12bc48#mythtv/filters/yadif>https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/ecda14d1d751a4aa4b8eeb903330393d0e12bc48#mythtv/filters/yadif
>
>though the OP is using native gcc which is puzzling, as xcode 3.2
>really had no issue building myth (even today). I'm not sure what
>macport is doing. Are you trying to first compile clang and then
>compile myth using clang?
>
>Using an external compiler would probably be the safest way to avoid
>having to worry about which version of xcode the user is running.

The OP's failure only occurs on 32 bit machines.  I did a bit of
testing (months ago, when I had the first report of this problem) but
I couldn't narrow it down quickly and I don't have regular access to
a machine of that vintage.

The clang fix you referenced went into 0.25 on April 10, 2012 so I am
picking that up:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/fd06548d81f12f0911538b17aa79fdb6b9ac5c6d

Re compilers, I could never get a working build of Myth 0.25 with
XCode 4.4 or higher.  However, MacPorts can install several other
compilers including Clang 3.0 (ie not Apple's version)--which works
OK.  The Myth portfile chooses the appropriate compiler based on the
user's environment.  In my testing with 0.26, XCode worked fine
(3.2.6, 4.5.x, 4.6.x).  I don't know what 'fixed' the problem.

Craig