[mythtv-users] Advanced 2X not working after system upgrade

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 23:38:50 UTC 2013

Hi

On 3 October 2012 23:15, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:

> The 3XX.XX series of Nvidia drivers handles modelines totally
> differently.  I've not been able to get it working well myself so I'm
> on 295.75.  I either lose modes or HD-audio (long story there).
>
> Here is a quote from an email chain I've had going on with an Nvidia
> developer:
>
> "There was a significant change to the mode validation process in the
> 302.* driver series: previously, a "mode" consisted of a set of
> "back-end timings," i.e. the timings the GPU actually sent to the
> monitor, and "front-end timings," which were reported to the X server.
>  The front-end timings were basically only used for their height and
> width, with the rest of the parameters ignored.  That lead to all
> kinds of confusion when, for example, programs would calculate and
> report the "refresh rate" of the front-end timings, even when that was
> a lie and the back-end timings were completely different.

Well, I had a deeper look into it, and the above is certainly not what I'm
seeing at all.

The judder free wiki page works just fine, however there seems to be a bug
with NVCtrl X extension, in that the first entry of the available modelines
gets overidden from time to time. In which case you can't switch to it.

I have amended the judder free wiki page with a work-around. I've reported
the issue to nvidia, will see what they say.

in the mean time, it works perfectly for me with the modeline workaround..