[mythtv-users] intel 24p (was: nVidia driver 304.88: problems)

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Thu Apr 18 18:51:06 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-16, at 8:41 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Did you configure myth to change the refresh rate though?
> this is all explained in the wiki. You need to set different GUI / Playback mode, and set the resolution to use (set there the resolution of your display) and set the refresh rate to "Auto".

I did configure it as described in the wiki and it did work with my nVidia card. Now I'm using intel's on-chip graphics but myth doesn't switch the framerate despite the fact I'm playing a 24fps video and xrandr shows a 24fps mode available for my TV.

Even if it did the switch it's still not very useful as most movie videos are 23.97fps and displaying those on a TV in 24Hz mode will get you an extra frame every few seconds and that's what we're trying to avoid.

> If you can change using xrandr, then myth can change, it pretty much does exactly what xrandr does internally.

xrandr has a option where you can give the name of the timings and it will switch the display accordingly. I can see where it's getting the name from X and matching against the command line value but not where it's begin applied. In any case xrandr is doing something that myth isn't and it's doing it with standard calls.

> the solution you suggest isn't feasible. There's no standard way of questioning X for the available modelines, and you can't even know then what the name of the modeline is.
> you have to rely on xrandr or NVCtrl on linux to query which modes are available.
> Plus parsing the name of a mode given by a user is totally unpractical...

Well, xrandr is apparently questioning X and parsing the mode name using standard calls and it looks like it's one source program for all platforms so this is definitely possible.

I agree that relying on magic mode names is a little goofy, I'm not trying to present this as a great achievement in computer science. There is a practical problem where the hardware is able to do something that myth can't reach so I'd like to clear a path to get it there. Anyway writing the code isn't the difficult part, I can do that part. The hard part is getting it accepted into myth which requires a nod from one of the gatekeepers which is why I wrote to ask.

- George