[mythtv-users] streaming tv to android phone

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Apr 17 15:08:49 UTC 2013

From: jacek burghardt
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:40 AM
> My internet provider gives me 10 mb/s upload speeds. I am looking for a
way
> I can send tv from my myth box to my android phone I am on wifi most of
the
> time and I should be getting lte someday. I also have number of blurey
> movies and sd movies that I would like to stream to my phone. Did anyone
> managed to export unpn to external devices ? I use pf sense as my firewall

UPnP is performed using multicast traffic, and I believe has a TTL of 1,
disallowing any hops through routers, so the only way you would be able to
use it remotely would be through a VPN configured as a transparent bridge.
That is added to the fact that broadcast TV would require 12-16Mbps
sustained, and Bluray would require 30+Mbps sustained. You would need to
transcode the content to something lower bitrate. Look into the HLS server
in 0.26 and Master, which is designed to stream content to mobile devices
at reduced bitrate.