[mythtv-users] nVidia driver 304.88: problems

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Mon Apr 15 17:10:16 UTC 2013

On 4/15/13 1:36 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I did an update to my ubuntu 12.04LTS box yesterday. Small update...
> While it's usual for major ubuntu upgrade to break stuff (but that's
> another topic)
>
> It upgraded nvidia drivers from  295.40 to 304.88 ; which was quite
> surprising as usually it never do such a big steps in LTS release.
>
> Anyhow: it is very broken.
> This is on my main backend, which is also used as a frontend in my
> cinema room (plugged to a cinema projector)
>
> As soon as I turn off the projector, when I turn it back on I get no
> signal from the PC. I must then restart X / Window manager to get
> video signal going.
> Interestingly, if from the command line I start a VDPAU playback,
> signal comes back again (sometimes, not always), without having to
> restart X.
>
> Reverting back to 295.40 fixes all issues and for now, I've locked
> that version
>
> my xorg.conf hasn't changed much in years. I use the CustomEDID
> command so I can boot the PC even if the projector is off.
>
> Anyone has experienced similar issues with 304.88?
> I'd like to find the problem with those drivers because sooner or
> later, I would have no choice but upgrade :(
>
> Thanks

Jya,
304 branch is really outdated....
I think You can consider 310.44 as long-term supported (whatever this
means in nvidia) or 313.30 (current official).
I have 310.44 working perfectly on 3x ION1 FEs.
As Paul Gardiner mentioned -

https://github.com/Glidos/mythtv/commit/adeca4c740468f7bf268ace241cddbef491f03a7

is needed in 3xx family if You want to minimize undesired mode switches.

Problem You described potentially might be related to power saving. Is projector reporting "no signal" after very short power-off..power-on cycle as well?
If not - probably thing is about DMPS power saving.
If Yes then this thing might be probably related to DDC channel driver bug - as it is only path where events can propagate from projector to GFX.
As this is I2C bus - concrete 0 to Von patterns can trigger bus transaction. If driver has bug in it's I2C implementation - such started but not ended transaction can hang driver. Just theory.
Can You try to disable DDC temporarily and look how it goes...

br
br