[mythtv-users] channel changes via script suddenly stopped working--diagnose help

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 14 14:34:48 UTC 2013

On 04/14/2013 03:21 AM, Paul Wootton wrote:

>> So I did a full upgrade to the latest and greatest of packages,but no success.  I then decided I needed to see more of what the script was doing so I added a 3 second pause at the very beginning of the script.  BLAM its working again.
>> I did 5 test recordings from mythweb and all picked the right channel.  I dont know if its a long term fix, or for that matter why a 3 second pause at the beginning would make a difference but it seems too!
>>
>> I was able to see the channel change taking place during the video and it was sending a single character each time.  Again I dont know if the 3 second pause really made a difference or if I just managed to scare a gremlin out of the sytem but I'm not going to remove the pause to find out !
>>
>> Everyone please cross your fingers and toes!   Thanks for the help in troubleshooting this as well.  I learned a bunch about linux in the process which makes it worth it!
> I always find it a bit scary to not know why something starts working, but I understand why you'd want to leave it alone.  On the other hand the learning more about Linux is never a bad thing
>
> Cheers
> -- Paul --

For what it's worth - I had a lot of timing problems and missed digits
when setting up irsend. What I have now works 100% of the time:

    commands=$(echo $channum | sed -e 's/./& /g')
    for digit in $commands; do
        irsend  send_once $REMOTE_NAME $digit
        sleep 0.4
    done
    irsend  send_once $REMOTE_NAME SELECT

Send 1 digit at a time with 0.4 seconds delay, then send SELECT after
another 0.4 seconds delay.

Another thought - perhaps something mythtv is doing while invoking the
script is using excessive CPU for a second or two, interfering with the
timing. By putting in the 3 second delay you may have delayed until the
heavy CPU period is over. How powerful is your CPU?

Peter