[mythtv-users] channel changes via script suddenly stopped working--diagnose help

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Sat Apr 13 22:11:35 UTC 2013

On 4/13/2013 4:09 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 04/13/2013 02:53 PM, Larry Roberts wrote:
> > I shutdown and pulled power from the box. The IRblaster is taped to
> the front of the cable box
> > and its in a utility closet with nothing else around. I'm really at
> a loss as to why it will work perfectly from the command line (I'm doing
>> this a root) but will not work when myth does it.  Is it actually
>> mythbackend that calls the script?  I have mythbackend running as
>> root but I'm
>> not sure if thats the user that spawns it or not.  I haven't messed
>> with it in so long I honestly dont recall how I set it up.
>
> mythbackend does call the script. You can use ps ax|grep
> mythbackend|grep -v grep
> to see if the backend is started with the --user argument. Mine is
> started by root,
> but uses --user mythtv to run as mythtv.
>
> From the command line, you'd more accurately execute the script like:
>
> sudo -u mythtv sh -c '/usr/local/bin/cc.sh 123'
>
> --
> Bill
So I think I want to do ps aux to get the user...  It shows that root
was the person who started it.

I know that when I try to run mythtv-setup as any user other than root I
cant see my PVR-350.  Not sure how I go about swapping to run as another
user and get that working. Given that it worked for a long time
successfully I dont see how this could be the problem though.
My wife just mentioned that she noticed this problem a little over a
week ago. Wish she had told me then so perhaps I could have pinpointed
something that has happened since then ...sigh.

Appreciate the thoughts.  keep them coming if you have more...