[mythtv-users] channel changes via script suddenly stopped working--diagnose help

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Sat Apr 13 20:06:41 UTC 2013

On 4/13/2013 3:53 PM, Larry Roberts wrote:
>> Looking at the code, you're doing an append '>>' to the cc.log, so if
>> the script were running twice you'd see two lines in the log, so
>> forget that.  I'd be tempted to suggest something really weird like
>> an odd multi-path reflection, but that wouldn't explain why it's OK
>> from the command line.   Are there any other IR blasters nearby that
>> are also triggering?  Do you have any other machines on the network
>> that might be doing some sort of remote irsend?  What happens if you
>> firstly rename rename the irsend executable and then the equivalent
>> name in the code.  This way you can  discount it being called from
>> elsewhere.  Other things I'd try are rebooting everything (perhaps
>> with a power cycle); putting the IR blaster in a cardboard tube and
>> taping it to the receiver so no stray IR gets in, and calling an
>> exorcist (your milage may vary).
>>
>> -- Paul --
>
> Do you happen to know the # of a good exorcist?  I shutdown and pulled
> power from the box.  The IRblaster is taped to the front of the cable
> box and its in a utility closet with nothing else around. I'm really
> at a loss as to why it will work perfectly from the command line (I'm
> doing this a root) but will not work when myth does it.  Is it
> actually mythbackend that calls the script? I have mythbackend running
> as root but I'm not sure if thats the user that spawns it or not.  I
> haven't messed with it in so long I honestly dont recall how I set it up.

So its definitely a problem with how myth is calling the script. What I
would like to do is call a script from myth, and as part of that script
it would call the right script.  As a very non-scripter I'm not sure how
to do that or for that matter if it would make a difference?  Perhaps it
is an environmental problem with myth that is causing it to duplicate
the data sent.  I did rename irsend and change the script to reflect is
so if something else  is calling it I dont know what or how.