[mythtv-users] Help understanding udev rules

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Wed Apr 10 16:51:07 UTC 2013

> The HDPVRs are mapped to the correct /dev/video's but I'm not sure
> that they will stay that way.

 From your info, it appears the sym-links are getting set up properly.
You might double check that via Mike Perkin's suggestion.  As to your
concern about them remaining properly set up, the easiest way to confirm
it is to unplug them both, swap the USB connectors (from where they were
to somewhere else).  They should reconnect themselves, once again in the
correct order.

[Just a short side note....  Most people say the HD-PVR requires its own
EHCI controller; ie., two devices requiring EHCI cannot share a hardware
EHCI controller.  From my experience that means looking at the output of
lsusb, the two HD-PVRs are not on the same bus (number).]

If the HD-PVRs do pass the "remain in the right set up" test above, then
the remaining issue is the response from Myth about the "stating
something like the device can not be probed."  Since you're not using
Fedora w/systemd, you probably don't need the "SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux",
ATTR{name}=="Hauppauge HD PVR", TAG+="systemd"" thingy I suggested.  But
you probably do need to resolve a permission problem.  I run Myth BE as
root, thus I need my /dev/HD-PVR symlink to be owned by root.  Your
latest note indicates your symlinks are owned by root (" The results of
the rules is a symlink from /dev/v4l/hdpvr1 and /dev/v4l/hdpvr2 with
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root"), so I'm guessing you run Myth BE as something
other than root ("jt [at] myt" perhaps?).  If so, you could try the
suggestion in my first note, but modify it to:
..., SYMLINK+="<yada yada>", MODE="0777",OWNER="jt [at] myt",GROUP="jt
[at] myt" on the end of (your) rule entries.

As always, good luck and let us know how you do with this.

Joe