[mythtv-users] HDTV how to archive?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Apr 10 10:08:02 UTC 2013

On 09/04/13 22:35, HP-mini wrote:

>> I used the wrong expression: archive. What I want is to have a media I
>> can play in other players like dvd or blue-ray players. Often I record
>> professional cycling event and I watch them during the winter in front
>> of my exercise bike.
>> With a low def was easy to make a dvd using mytharchive.
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> -=terry=-
>>
> Would expect any recent BD player or TV to directly play any mpegts file
> (mythtv recordings) from USB stick or HDD..
> The BD player could probably play divx/dvd/h264 .mkv files from optical
> media..
> So data disc not authored ISO disc.
>
> The TVs tried here, play cut/edited mpegts files okay..

I haven't tried a recent build of mytharchive in 'Create an archive'
mode, but that's exactly what that is intended to create; a data disk
with the recorded file plus metadata that allows it to be re-imported as
a recording.   Or just use a data-disk burning tool like k3b.  But I'm
inclined to question the need for HD archiving to optical disk too; if
you really want the performance in HD, just get more disk space -
perhaps portable.  If SD will do, record SD.