[mythtv-users] Keeping the MythVideo db up2date

Robert Dege livemotion at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 16:39:21 UTC 2013

I'm trying to figure a way to keep the MythVideo list updated, whenever I
add or remove a video from the mythvideo directory.  The videos folder is
on the primary backend system (version 0.26), and I maintain the videos
folder from my Windows machine via samba.

I originally tried to add "postexec =/usr/bin/mythutil --scanvideos"  to
the smb.conf file, but I was unable to get it to work properly.  It either
wouldn't work, or Windows would keep the connection to the share open long
after I added files and closed the share window.

I tried using inotifywait, which yielded much better results.  However, I
was only able to get it to work while in a terminal, which I found
difficult to automate on reboots

I was able to get it working with incrond, but doesn't recursively monitor
the folder.

Does anyone know of a better way to monitor the videos directory?  I know
that I could run the mythutil in cron every minute, but I would prefer a
more elegant solution.

-Rob