[mythtv-users] Help understanding udev rules

John J Tucker mythtv
Tue Apr 9 04:07:10 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I would appreciate so help understanding the udev rules.

I have just switched from cable to DirecTV.  My setup is a single combined BE/FE with two HD PVRs. With the previous cable setup I used firewire to change channels and never had problems with the HD PVRs migrating around between /dev/video0 and /dev/video1. The DirecTV setup is that same except that I use the web service (directv_http.pl) to change channels.  Now I have had problems with the HD PVRs switching places and this is not good.

I read the mythtv wiki page  (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev) and copied the HD PVR sample substituting the serial numbers in the sample for my serial numbers.  My confusion comes from my assumption that I would point to the SYMLINK device vs /dev/video0/1.  mythtv_setup doesn't like the SYMLINK (/dev/v4l/hdpvr1/2) but /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 work.

Would someone explain what I'm doing wrong and how should my setting look like.

copy of my rules.d file

# /etc/udev/rules.d/10-hdpvr.rules
#HDPVR - hdpvr1
KERNEL=="video?",SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux",ATTRS{serial}=="00A29AC2",
SYMLINK+="v4l/hdpvr1"

#HDPVR - hdpvr2
KERNEL=="video?",SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux",ATTRS{serial}=="00A252CB",
SYMLINK+="v4l/hdpvr2"

straight from the wiki (mostly).

Thanks in advance.

adios,