[mythtv-users] How to remove all files from "deleted recordings" group?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 7 22:56:27 UTC 2013

On 04/06/2013 02:12 PM, Mark wrote:
> On 2013-04-06 12:08 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Mark wrote:
>>> How can I get rid of all of these files
>> Have a little patience?
>>
>> With 0.25, deleted items go into the deleted group (as you
>> see), and will be (a) Selected first to be deleted if space is
>> needed, and (b) will be deleted sometime later depending
>> on the "retain deleted recordings" setting.  This is actually
>> a good feature to let one "undo" a mistake.  If you set the
>> retain value to 0 it will be deleted in ~5-20 minutes.  If you
>> set the retain value to -1 it will retained until space is
>> required.
>>
> Strange.  I checked mine, and it is a 0 as you mentioned.  though I
> deleted about 300 recordings via mythweb over an hour ago, and they
> are still not gone.  No files deleted I mean.
>
> Anyway to disable this?
> Where is the retain deleted recordings setting?
>
> Anyway to manually force this?

Gary's is likely /still/ the right solution.  You've probably enabled
"Delete files slowly" (to put reduced stress on your file system and the
I/O subsystem), at which point it will generally delete files at
2min/GiB (so a 6GiB HDTV recording would take 12min to delete, then the
next one you deleted will start to delete, so if you deleted 500GiB of
recordings, it will take about 1000min to delete = about 16 hours and 40min.

Alternatively, if you have "Delete files slowly" enabled, you can delete
a whole list of shows (say, 500GiB of recordings), then shut down all
the backends.  When you shut down the backends, your system will begin
deleting the recordings "as fast as possible", which could mean anywhere
from seconds to 20+min.  During that time, mythbackend process should
not be messed with (i.e. powering off or rebooting the system because
"it just won't kill mythbackend!!!") or you will mess up your file
system integrity and end up with some orphaned recording files (because
you prevented the OS from doing the cleanup it was doing).  So, really,
the best solution is exactly what Gary said--be patient.

Mike