[mythtv-users] VAAPI on mythtv-0.26

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 19:39:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> Correction... the cores, even some before sandy-bridge, had support for
> advanced deinterlacing methods... it's all about the intel driver.
> Apparently they simply haven't enabled the support for advanced
> deinterlacing in the driver yet, just Bob.

In all recent nVidia, AMD, and Intel designs, decoding mpeg2/h264
has dedicated hardware, so they "just work" to decode the content.
And, in the recent designs, the deinterlacing is done in the processing
engines of the GPU.  The numbers and types of resources needed
in the GPU to do that processing varies by the manufactures
architecture (which changes by GPU generation).  For example,
the nVidia fermi processors were not great for deinterlacing
(to achieve a GT220 deinterlace performance you needed to move
up to at least a GT440, or thereabouts).

It is not at all clear to me(*) that in the shipping generation of Intel
GPUs are capable of performing motion compensation (which is
sort of the equivalent of "Advanced 2x"), although Intel engineers
are working on motion adaptive (to be available at some point).

Gary

(*) I just do not know, but I do recall an Intel engineer saying
that motion compensation was out of scope.  One can
interpret that either as a "we will work on it after we get
motion adaptive done" or "the current hardware does not
have the resources to do it".