[mythtv-users] VAAPI on mythtv-0.26

Robert Dege livemotion at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 17:13:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Matthias <lists at thyroff.net> wrote:

>  Am 04.04.2013 16:45, schrieb Robert Dege:
>

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Matthias <lists at thyroff.net> wrote:
>
>>  Am 31.03.2013 19:08, schrieb Joseph Fry:
>>

>>  How do you configure it to use libvaapi and opengl?  I have the Painter
>>> set to OpenGL, and am using the VAAPI profile, but the test videos are not
>>> running correctly.
>>>
>>> Standard Definition will not run under VAAPI.  I get .5 second of Audio
>>> with a blank screen.  I can play it using OpenGL, and my CPU usage ranges
>>> from 30% - 125%, varying on OpenGL quality.
>>>
>>> High Definition does work, but uses huge amounts of cpu.  VAAPI uses
>>> about 200% CPU, and OpenGL Slim consumes about 160%.
>>>
>>> The intel drivers and libvaapi packages on my system are outdated (Oct
>>> 2012), There are newer drivers on the website.  Should I manually update
>>> the software packages, or is there something else I should try before that?
>>>
>>>    I just upgraded to mythtv-0.26, and want to enable/try VAAPI on my

>>  Careful with the top-posting
>>
>>  Anyway.... if I were doing VAAPI I would start by using the drivers
>> here: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/.  Someone recently posted success
>> using them.

>>  Hi,
>>
>> it was me who posted success with the drivers from the link above. It was
>> just one post before your initial question, you might have missed it.
>>
>> It worked perfectly, I installed the package from above page, started a
>> script that is inside that package, which adds the necessary repository and
>> from there, installs all the necessary packages and versions that you need
>> to run vaapi acceleration. At least, for me it did, on ubuntu 12.04.
>>
>> It works with Ubuntu 12.x and Fedora.
>>
>> Try it, I would be interested in hearing if you were successful.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias

> I was able to download and install the ubuntu 12.04 64bit package from
> https://01.org/linuxgraphics/.  Unfortunately, the
> intel-linux-graphics-installer fails while performing the diagnostics.  It
> is able to find my Intel graphics card, but fails when retrieving
> information from 01.org.  The installer says that the diagnostics
> finished with an error, but little else.  There doesn't appear to be a way
> enable additional output.
>
> -Rob

I am unable to detect any other package managers open.  I did have a
locking issue yesterday when Update Manager hung, but a reboot appeared to
have resolved the problem.  I'm able to run apt-get update/upgrade checks
without any locking errors.

I have no proxies setup.  I have the typical Home LAN with a 192.168.x.x
address.  As a test, I added the xorg-edgers ppa, and was able to upgrade
some of the installed packages without any issues.

-Rob