[mythtv-users] Intel HDx000 graphics - vaapi now works for me

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Apr 2 20:08:28 UTC 2013

 today I stumbled across an article stating that Intel now has released an
>>> installer for the intel graphics driver for ubuntu (and fedora) which takes
>>> care to install all required components and versions... I thought I'd give
>>> it a try and installed it.
>>>
>>> Now vaapi works for me, my little itx celeron frontend plays HD content
>>> now with nice low 10% CPU load and without freezing (which it would
>>> immediately do after displaying the first frame of the video content when I
>>> tried vaapi before).
>>>
>>> I just made a quick test - so ymmv (and mine).
>>>
>>> But maybe it is useful (and new) information for somebody else - if so,
>>> go and check here:
>>>
>>> https://01.org/linuxgraphics/**downloads/2013/intel-linux-**
>>> graphics-installer<https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2013/intel-linux-graphics-installer>
>>>
>>> Have fun,
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>>

>> This is great! So, what's the cheapest / lowest end motherboard or PC
>> that supports VAAPI?
>>

> Any Sandy/Ivy Bridge should do... coupled with a Celeron G540 (I'm pretty
> sure it will work).  Easy to come in under $100 for this combo.
>
> I have a G540 based system that I will be testing this on... I'll post my
> results as soon as I have them.

Just finished the upgrade using the tool on the 01.org.  Other than having
to remove a ton of i386 library files that were on my AMD64 system to get
it all to install... it went smoothly.

Playing back a couple of 1080p test files I keep around, I saw a huge
reduction in CPU load.  Considering that this is my backend/server (various
apps), and occasional frontend... it's nice to not be using CPU cycles when
I do decide to watch tv in my office.

On one test video, it was using 110% CPU before the upgrade, and the other
was using 85%... both videos use ~5% after the upgrade... and the picture
is damn good to my eye on my 22" monitor.  Probably not quite as nice as
VDPAU would be... but for casual watching it's great... and considering
that I had no intention of adding a GPU... its awesome!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Matthias!