[mythtv-users] python filewriting and partition boundaries

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Apr 2 17:43:44 UTC 2013

On 31/03/13 17:57, John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi:  Several years ago I trashed a hard drive, apparently by writing
> video from Linux to an ntfs partition.
>
> I now have another disk that seems to have lost some partition info. The
> VolGroup-lv_home superblock isn't readable and my Googling suggests
> using tools that can't be found on the disk.  I imagine that they were
> installed as default, but I'm not sure.  SL6 and Myth 0.26-fixes.
>
> It seems to me that the most unusual thing about what I have done with
> this box is using a python script to cut and concatenate video files.
> The script is at MythDVBcut on the wiki.  In the scripts as posted it is
> used only for HD content.  It doesn't include any checking for partition
> boundaries, because I assumed that this would be done automatically.
>
> The script normally does what I intended, but I'm now worried that I may
> have unleashed a disk-trashing tool on the community.  Can anyone
> comment or suggest a more appropriate forum for this question?
>
> John P

The problem was real but after posting on the Scientific Linux list I
was advised that I needed to reinstall lvm2 and lvm2-libs, which had
somehow disappeared.  Fortunately I had compatible packages for those
and initscripts cached and was able to install them.  Then vgscan,
lvscan and reboot back to normal.  Phew!