[mythtv-users] Intel HDx000 graphics - vaapi now works for me

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Apr 2 15:38:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:07:17 +0100, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>today I stumbled across an article stating that Intel now has released
>an installer for the intel graphics driver for ubuntu (and fedora) which
>takes care to install all required components and versions... I thought
>I'd give it a try and installed it.
>
>Now vaapi works for me, my little itx celeron frontend plays HD content
>now with nice low 10% CPU load and without freezing (which it would
>immediately do after displaying the first frame of the video content
>when I tried vaapi before).
>
>I just made a quick test - so ymmv (and mine).
>
>But maybe it is useful (and new) information for somebody else - if so,
>go and check here:
>
>https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2013/intel-linux-graphics-installer
>
>Have fun,
>
>Matthias

Thanks for this - after running the installer, I now have VAAPI
working on my MSI GT70 laptop (i7-3610QM) under Mythbuntu 12.04.

I had to do two more things to make it work:

1) Remove Adobe Reader and the i386 packages it installs - they clash
with the new 64-bit package versions from the Intel PPA.

2) Set Setup -> Appearance -> page 1 -> Paint engine to OpenGL instead
of the default Qt.  Without that, opening a VAAPI window to play video
fails.