[mythtv-users] Lossless Cut bug reports

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 11:33:08 UTC 2013

On 30 March 2013 13:53, Doug Vaughan <r.d.vaughan at rogers.com> wrote:

> Martin,
>     Even though I do not have time right now I am replying so you know I
> read your email and will get back to you. One question I would like
> answered is whether any video players other than VLC have the problems you
> describe during playback? I use a HDPVR as a recording device and can
> successfully playback with MythTV internal player, Totem on the Linux
> desktop, DicePlayer, MXPlayer, XBMC on Android and XBMC plus the Windows
> Media player on Win8.  All play the Lossless Cut mkv files without any of
> the issues you describe. I never tested with VLC.

No problem at all Doug.  Appreciate the reply.  I also tried Media Player
Classic on Windows and Totem on Linux, all have similar results.  I copied
a video file over to my Android and tried DicePlayer, the video doesn't
show at all.  On VLC for Android, is plays OK and seeks fine, but no sound.

    If a number of video players all have the same issue as VLC then the
> problems most likely is the combination of the video files produced by your
> recording device and the current limitations of the mkvmerge utility which
> cuts and assembles the mkv videos. Others have found for instance that
> mkvmerge cannot consistently process recordings generated by a HDHomerun.

So maybe something specific to the channels I get in the UK and my
recording device.  I think I have seen posts from people in the UK using
this, so maybe it is device specific, although I have 2 tuners and it seems
to have happened on both.

The bug you found with the reporting script is on my to-do list and is
> indeed due to not handling the lack of skip or cutlist. As for the missing
> log file, that is not a bug. What it refers to is that the script
> automatically looks for a Lossless Cut log left over from an aborted script
> userjob. That is a different log than what the reporting script creates.
> The message is just there for information purposes. The default is for a
> Lossless Cut userjob that completes successfully to be automatically
> deleted therefore it would be "missing".

Ah, that makes sense, understood.

The Samba related issue is not my issue. I believe two problems are in
> play. Invalid characters in the file names according to Windows file name
> conventions, the colon in your example. Also I think that your shares may
> be defined with a lack of utf8 support although my knowledge is very hazy
> on that subject (iocharset=utf8 as a parameter in the mount command?). I
> have the same issue with my Win8 and Android CIFS shares. Resolving that is
> I also on my lengthy to-do list.

Thought as much, will have a play with that and post back/update the Wiki
with any more info.  Thanks for the pointers.

I'll be back.

Much appreciated

Regards

Martin