[mythtv-users] .25 broke audio only on HD playback

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 06:38:22 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 4:28 AM, chris biddick <c.biddickfam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks;
> (  I dont think I like .25, playback is broken on both my primary
> backend &  secondarybackend/frontend machines )
>
> So far no luck affecting this issue, looking for some expert guidance.
>
> Everything worked perfectly in mythbuntu 11.10 &   mythtv .24
>
> after upgrade to mythbuntu 12.04 and mythtv .25 ( on
> frontend/secondary backend),  (and Ubuntu 12.04 & mythtv .25 on
> primary backend )
> the audio on every HD recording is nothing but fluttering noise on my
> frontend machine.
> the HD recordings are stored locally on an external sub drive on the
> frontend/secondary backend machine
>
> audio on SD recordings is fine.
> HD recordings that played fine pre-upgrade, now have fluttering audio.
> From that, I am pretty sure it is not a recording issue.
>
> This is on my frontend/secondary backend machine.
>
> it is a Zotac ION machine.
>
> Zotac ZBOX-ID31DVD-PLUS Intel Atom D525 CPU 1.8 GHz Dual-Core
> Next-generation NVIDIA ION DVD+R/RW w/ 1GB RAM, 250G ...
>
> using VDPAU
> VLC will playback an HD recording with perfect audio ( an actual
> mythtv recording)
> HD videos stored on the primary backend and played on this frontend
> have perfect audio
> The Mythtv Setup Wizard plays back both SD & HD recordings perfectly!!
> The only thing that is broken is audio when playing an HD TV recording
> in mythtv.
>
> Any help towards fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ps....  playback of both recordings & videos on my primary backend
> machine is now playing at double-speed, with no audio.
>       ( we never watch from there, so this is OK i suppose )

It might be helpful if you told us

1. what audio your troublesome recordings have (mp2, aac, ac3??) -
mediainfo reports this pretty well.

2. What your audio hardware is in each case - chipset, path to the
speakers (analogue, spdif, hdmi, through an external amp or direct to
the tv, etc etc.)

3. what ALL your audio settings are.