[mythtv-users] UK Freesat retune

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 07:27:07 UTC 2012

Michael Watson wrote:

>>>Any manual tweaking has the potential to waste people's time when it
>>>causes unforeseen problems. For example, imagine the scene in two
>>>years time when I do an upgrade which fails, I ask on the list for
>>>help, everyone tries to troubleshoot, and several days later after
>>>many emails back and forth it turns out that it failed because there
>>>was an unexpected value in the DB that was only there because of the
>>>manual DB change which by then even I have forgotten about.
>Upgrade routine to failout describing what "value" caused the failure.

Nice idea, but it's not necessarily an invalid value that's caused
it. Ie, just checking that the value in there is in a specific list
of values isn't enough.

There are plenty of settings which can interact, and there are a lot
of settings. Given the number of ways in which people can use MythTV,
and the places they live (hence sources available), the number of
permutations becomes absolutely massive - hence why there aren't
simple presets that will completely configure a new system, there are
just too many permutations for that to be possible.

So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that changing a setting
may cause a problematic interaction with another settings, while both
settings are themselves valid values. It might be that the module
that normally sets the value you are modding will not allow the
combination, or the setting is not manually accessible, but there's a
difference between setting it in the first place and checking all
combinations later.
So great care needs to be taken when modifying anything in the
database manually.

Having said that, I use a script to modify my database, though it
only sets a limited number of fields (Channel Number, XMLTV ID,
Visible) in the channels table - ie a table that can easily be
cleared out (Delete All Channels) and repopulated.

--
Simon Hobson