[mythtv-users] MythTV+Mageia2+PowerViewTV card(s)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Sep 29 12:32:22 UTC 2012

On 29/09/12 07:28, Marc Paré wrote:
> Hi Raymond,
>
> Le 2012-09-28 13:18, Raymond Wagner a écrit :
>> On 9/28/2012 10:51, Marc Paré wrote:
>>> I just joined the list a week ago and have been following the different
>>> threads. I am having problems getting MythTV to recognize my PowerViewTV
>>> card. The card is well recognized by TVTime.
>>
>> TVTime only functions with framegrabbers, and framegrabbers are a poor
>> choice for anything that needs to record. MythTV has to pull data from
>> audio and video inputs, and encode it in real time. It's not that hard
>> to pull off, but the configuration is clumsy and error prone. It's
>> recommended anyone want to do analog use hardware encoder cards, which
>> do all that for MythTV, and feed MythTV a simple MPEG stream. Last I
>> checked, you could generally pick up used PVR-150s for $20-25, or
>> PVR-500s (dual tuners) for about twice that.
> Thanks! For the info.
>
> So, what TVCard would you recommend for someone who would like to record
> 2 channels at the same time, and, that work well with MythTV? I am on
> Mageia2 Linux.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc

Your first post suggests that you are in Canada and want to receive
analog TV.  Raymond's post mentions the PVR-500 which would likely be a
good choice.  If you have access to digital signals via cable or OTA I
believe you would need something else.  Location, signal source (and
price) are important things to know when making recommendations.

HTH

John P