[mythtv-users] recording (hardware?) failures locking up the backend

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 28 15:05:45 UTC 2012

So, I have been having some backend (0.25-fixes) lockups here and the
constant factor seems to be recording failures are causing the backed to
lockup and not even try recording any future programs until it's killed.
 And it won't die gracefully.  It needs a kill -KILL to kill it, further
evidence that it's just in a really bad state.

Sadly, hardware does fail.  Software needs to be able to deal with that
in a manner other than going into complete lockup.  The hardware failure
is transient.  The hardware worked just fine after the failure so
subsequent recordings should have been able to happen properly, if the
backend would not have deadlocked.

But as it was, the backend was unable to do anything until I had to kill
it with a KILL signal and restart it.

The ticket is here http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11127 if anyone
wants to add further artifacts to it.

FWIW the hardware that failed was an HVR-1600.  I am starting to regret
having bought this.  It has been pretty unreliable when it comes to
doing multi-rec recordings.  When it does fail, all of the recordings
happening at the same file fail and yet the card is complete able to do
subsequent recordings after the failure.

My HVR-950Q on the other hand, I don't think has ever done this.

b.