[mythtv-users] Is there still a global padding option?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 27 12:40:26 UTC 2012

On 09/27/2012 04:25 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 27/09/12 06:39, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean says:
>>> You can now adjust default values for more than just start early and
>>> end late by setting them in the default template, and can make other
>>> templates for the other types of rules you create often.  You'll
>>> find the functionality in mythfrontend's Manage Recordings|Recording
>>> Rules in the MENU.
>>
>> Is this something in 0.26? I don't see such options on the MENU menu
>> in either Manage Recording Rules or Schedule Priorities on 0.25.
>>
> I don't see anything there, either.  Using MythCenter-Wide, if that's
> relevant, and I tried the Menu key too.  Schedule Recordings > Custom
> Record looks as if it might be able to define a template but needs a
> few examples to hack.

Yes, it's master/unstable/development/0.26pre.

Since John said he couldn't find the option, I figured he must be using
0.26.  I now see he mentioned 0.25.2.

So, in 0.25-fixes and before, it's in the same place as always:

Default 'Start Early' minutes for new recording rules
Set this to '0' unless you expect that the majority of your show times
will not match your TV listings. This sets the initial start early or
start late time when rules are created. These can then be adjusted per
recording rule.

Default 'End Late' minutes for new recording rules
Set this to '0' unless you expect that the majority of your show times
will not match your TV listings. This sets the initial end late or end
early time when rules are created. These can then be adjusted per
recording rule.

in mythfrontend settings under Recording Priorities (which is the
closest we had to recording rule options).  So, it will obviously (based
on my description of upcoming MythTV) be much better/easier to find in
the future.

But thanks for the additional proof that we have too many settings to be
useful and that it's too hard to find the settings, even when you know
they exist, and that "just add a setting" isn't a good choice for
solving future problems.  :)

Mike