[mythtv-users] NTFS and Ext

Gordon Taylor gordon at clear.net.nz
Thu Sep 27 05:23:11 UTC 2012

On 26/09/12 17:03, Chris O'Halloran wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First time post.
>
> I've got Mythbuntu set up on old PC with a Satelitte card.  It's
> working great.
>
> I've got a Samsung flat screen TV with an ethernet connection and it
> can find my mythtv PC and it can scan the PC for files to play.
>
> I prefer to play recorded programmes this way to take advantage of the
> digitial decoder in the TV rather than use the analogue connection
> from the PC's graphics card (RCA).
>
> Recently I decided to add an external USB hard drive to expand the
> system's storage capability.
>
> What I've noticed however, is that any programmes recorded onto the
> USB hard drive cannot be played by the TV. The TV just says 'Cannot
> read file' whereas files recorded on the IDE drive can be played
> across the network.  Programmes recorded on the USB drive can be
> played back via the PC's graphics card without problems - just not so
> crisp.
>
> The USB drive is formatted as NTFS while the mythtv PC harddrive
> (IDE)  is formatted EXT3. This is the only reason I can think of at
> present as to why I can't stream files across the network from the USB
> drive.
>
> Is this a known issue? Any comments?

Linux is very good at using many file systems.  So I doubt this is the
problem. Nevertheless unless Ms Windows needs to access the USB drive I
would format it ext3. Others will no doubt disagree. Your choice.

Off the top of my head. Where is the USB drive mounted? The internal
drive, as in the files you wish to play, will be be mounted under
/storage or /myth, etc. I have forgotten where Mythbuntu puts them. The
external drive will be mounted under /media/<something or other>. The TV
is looking at the original directory for the file, so of course it can
not be read.

If this is the case you need to mount the USB drive under the internal
drives main file storage place. The TV will then see the external (USB)
drive.

Find the UUID of the USB drive and edit  /etc/fstab to suit, so it will
mount at boot time