[mythtv-users] 0.25 Number of recordings to keep

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Sep 26 19:36:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 03:48:51PM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 03:30:30PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > >
> > >I can't be the only one with this problem. I have been researching
> > >this for a couple days now, and I have not found a solution. To
> > >re-state the question. When using Power Search why does Myth ignore
> > >the "No. of recordings to keep" setting? I do have "Record new and
> > >expire old" checked, and setting the number of recordings to keep
> > >works with a regular non power search rule.
> > >
> > >I have looked int he power search phrase options, but do not see any
> > >that would fit. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Pretty sure that # of recordings to keep is determined based on the
> > title of the recordings, so if your power rule matches shows with
> > different titles, it's unlikely to do what you want.
> >
> > You'll need to give specific descriptions of rules (including the
> > SQL you're using), titles matched under the rules, and how many
> > shows of each title you're getting for us to be able to better
> > understand the problem and possibly allow giving a better
> > description of what's happening.
>
> Mike, maxepisodes is supposed to use recording rule ID, and a very
> quick perusal of the code supports that.  Factors that could affect
> the episode count are the recorded.preserve value and whether or not
> an override rules was used.  Anyway, this is one of a few issues I
> need to look into, but probably won't have time to do so for a few
> days.  Aaron, if you can provide the specifics Mike asked for, that
> would be very helpful.

I tested this today and it works as intended and expected(*).  Aaron,
above you said "updated my rules to use Power Search."  I assume that
means you created new rules and deleted your old ones.  Are you
expecting MythTV to delete the recordings made using the old rules
when new ones are recorded with the new rules?  If so, it doesn't work
that way.  As soon as you delete an old rule, you are responsible for
manually deleting any recordings for it when and if you choose.

(*)This is mainly for Mike Dean and Stuart Morgan.  The old recordings
are expired (as in the recording file is deleted).  Now that "move to
deleted" is the mandatory delete behavior, I wonder if the delete part
of "delete old and record new" shouldn't do the same.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net