[mythtv-users] Convert mythcommflag info into 'chapters' (was: Commerical skipping thru PS3)

Joel Means means.joel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:41:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Michael Norman <mwnorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I need some help putting together a User Job that takes the info
> generated by
> mythcommflag and - what, runs handbrakeCLI to transcode and insert chapters?
>
> Any helps would be greatly appreciated,
> ---
> Mike

I have a python script that I have written to do just what you
describe.  It will take a cutlist (you have to make a cutlist from the
commflag results, but that could be added to the script) and use
mythtranscode to remove the commercials.  It then converts to x264
using HandBrakeCLI.  You can get the output as a mkv file with chapter
marks where the commercials were.  (You can also get a m4v suitable
for ATV2 playback, but that doesn't sound like what you want.)  You do
need mkvmerge (from the mkvtoolnix package) installed to add the
chapter marks to the mkv.  The inputs are setup to work well as a User
Job.
You can find the script here:
https://github.com/joelmeans/pymetadatamanager/tree/master/extras.
Check it out and let me know if you have any feedback or questions.
It seems to work well for me, but YMMV.

Joel