[mythtv-users] Virtualisation .. can it do this? (HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L)

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 15:06:27 UTC 2012

On 26/09/2012 15:15, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>
>>> I'd suggest keeping some space spare - in the grand scheme of a PVR
>>> with perhaps TB of space, a few tens of gig is not a lot to "waste".
>>> It'll earn it's keep the first time you want to upgrade - it's a lot
>>> easier switching back to a working setup than restoring it from a
>>> backup ! Plus, you can leave your "upgrade in progress" intact and
>>> come back to it later.
>>>
>> I like your idea Simon! And yes, a few gig out of a 2.3TB system is
>> no great loss.
>>
>> I have no problem installing ubuntu wherever I want it. Setting mount
>> point etc is very straight forward with the setup. However, I have no
>> idea how I would switch between one partition and another at boot
>> time. Would that involve installing something like grub as well, or
>> is there another way of switching between two bootable partitions?
>>
>> Any you probably saw this question coming .. is there a GUI program
>> that can help with this :-)
>
> Grub will be installed by default, and should (someone correct me if
> this is wrong) put up a menu at boot time listing available boot
> options. Initially you'll just have the one OS (with options for
> normal or single-user modes).
>
> When you install the second OS, you'll have the option to
> install/update Grub - and it should find the earlier one as well.
> After that, you'll find you have 4 boot options (2x OS, each with
> normal or single-user). It will default to the first entry, not sure
> which that will be.
>
> So when you boot, it will default to one OS - but you have the option
> to boot a different one if you press a key within the 5s timeout.
>

> No idea if there's a GUI for it - not used to using GUIs for this sort
> of thing.

Thanks Simon,

I've used grub before, so if it's smart enough to find all available
bootable partitions I don't need a GUI just to make my selection on boot
up :-)

I'll make sure that I use Clonezilla before I do any second OS install,
just in case!

Thanks again,
Damian

PS What's the recommended file system around here? Is ext4 the way to
go? Or maybe xfs (if I've remembered the name of that correctly. I don't
plan on setting up LVM (it that's what I think it is .. making as many
drives as you want appearing like one big drive, right?) as I'm used to
just putting different types of files on separate partitions. I have a
250Gb drive and a 2TB drive.