[mythtv-users] NTFS and Ext

Chris O'Halloran cmoman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 05:03:38 UTC 2012

Hello all,

First time post.

I've got Mythbuntu set up on old PC with a Satelitte card.  It's working
great.

I've got a Samsung flat screen TV with an ethernet connection and it can
find my mythtv PC and it can scan the PC for files to play.

I prefer to play recorded programmes this way to take advantage of the
digitial decoder in the TV rather than use the analogue connection from the
PC's graphics card (RCA).

Recently I decided to add an external USB hard drive to expand the system's
storage capability.

What I've noticed however, is that any programmes recorded onto the USB
hard drive cannot be played by the TV. The TV just says 'Cannot read file'
whereas files recorded on the IDE drive can be played across the network.
Programmes recorded on the USB drive can be played back via the PC's
graphics card without problems - just not so crisp.

The USB drive is formatted as NTFS while the mythtv PC harddrive (IDE)  is
formatted EXT3. This is the only reason I can think of at present as to why
I can't stream files across the network from the USB drive.

Is this a known issue? Any comments?

Thanks,

Chris